Biology General Knowledge Quiz Answers – Science Questions – GK Quiz part 14
1. Which is the first oxygen producing organism?
Answer: Autotrophic cyanobacteria
2. How much biosphere extends to the distance?
Answer: 22.5 Km
3. How the populations of different species are is kept under check?
Answer: By food chain
4. Who is the most recent and most highly evolved amongst organisms?
Answer: Human species, Homo sapiens
5. What two special characteristics are found in human beings which have made them masters?
Answer: Highly evolved brain, skilled hand
6. What is nebula?
Answer: It is the name of cold cosmic cloud of dust and gas which is believed to condense and form star, planets and their satellites
7. Who first put forward the nebular hypothesis of origin of solar system?
8. What helped in forming different types of organic compounds on earth from inorganic salts, minerals and gases in beginning?
Answer: High temperature, ultra-violet rays and lightning
9. Who first proposed that life originated from non-living substances through chemical processes?
10. What is the name of the theory that believes life originated from inorganic substances through chemical processes?
Answer: Physico-chemical theory/ Naturalistic theory/ Theory of Chemosynthetic origin
11. Why were the first organisms an aerobic?
Answer: The atmosphere of the earth did not possess oxygen at that time
12. When did prokaryotes originate on earth?
Answer: 4200 million years back
13. When in the history of earth did eukaryotes develop?
Answer: 1600-million years back
14. What four features constitute the basic unity of all living beings?
Answer: Cell structure, metabolism, replication and homeostasis
15. Which is the smallest angiosperm?
Answer: Wolffia arrhiza
16. What peculiarity is found in cicada?
Answer: It lives for seventeen years but leads an active life of only five weeks.
17. What are the three components of earth?
Answer: Hydrosphere, Lithosphere, Atmosphere
18. What is the name of the theory which believes that life originated somewhere else and it came to earth through meteorites?
Answer: Cosmozoic or interplanetary theory
19. What discovery formed the basis of agriculture?
Answer: Seeds are the source of replenishment of plants
20. What is the major role of reproduction in nature?
Answer: Perpetuation of the race
21. What is the common name of Agaricus?
22. What is the name of the fruit body of polyporus?
23. What are Fronds?
Answer: The pinnately compound leaves of fern are called fronds
24. What is Agrostology?
Answer: The study of grasses is called Agrostology
25. Plants that grow in water are called hydrophytes. What name is given to plants that grow in desert conditions?
26. What is cambium?
Answer: Elongated cells in between xylem a d phloem in dicot plants constitute cambium
27. What is the name of the process of photosynthesis – constructive or destructive?
28. Which gas is evolved during photosynthesis?
29. Write the name of various medical plants:
Answer: Rauwolfia Serpentina, Vinca Rosea, Cinchona, Foxglove, Black mulberry, Ocimum Sanctum
30. What is the importance of Foxglove?
Answer: For Heart stimulant