Indian Political History Quiz Question and Answers – Learn Indian History
India’s Political History 70 Years
•The Constituent assembly elected in 1946 served as the Parliament
15 Aug. 1947
• India became independent
• Jawaharlal Nehru becomes the 1st P. M. of Independent India
30 Jan. 1948
• Mahatma Gandhi was shot dead by Nathuram Godse
• India sends troops and took over the State of Hyderabad
• Sheikh Abdulla became the Prime Minister of Jammu and Kashmir.
• Pakistan adopted Guerrilla War in J & K but India recaptured Dras, Kargil and Poonch.
26 Nov. 1949
• Constitution of India was adopted with a Preamble, 395 Articles & 8 Schedules.
26 Jan. 1950
• Constitution of India was enforced & India was declared a Republic State
• Rajendra Prasad, 1st President of India
• Home Minister Vallabhbhai Patel died on 15 Dec. 1950.
• India’s first general/Lok Sabha election ( 25 Oct. 1951 to 21 Feb. 1952) & Indian National Congress won with full majority (75%)
• Sheikh Abdulla was dismissed, arrested and Ghulam Mohammed became the Prime Minister of Jammu and Kashmir.
• French finally gave up its territory Pondicherry to India.
Death of B. R. Ambedkar on 6 Dec. 1956
• Second general elections held in India & Congress won 371 seats
• Mrs. Indira Gandhi was elected the president of Indian National Congress.
• The states of Gujarat and Maharashtra came into being on May 1, 1960 & Bombay got allocated to Maharashtra.
• Indian troops liberated Goa from Portuguese colony by Operation Vijay
• Congress retained its majority in the general elections (361 seats out of 494).
• Jawahar Lal Nehru passed away. Gulzarilal Nanda was sworn in as acting prime minister.
• Congress Working Committee finalized on Lal Bahadur Shastri as Nehru’s successor. (Other contenders were Tamilian K. Kamraj & Morarji Desai)
• Pakistan invaded India over a salt marsh in Kachchh desert forcing Indians to withdraw some 40 miles.
• L.B. Shastri & Pakistani President Ayub Khan met in Taskent along with the Soviet Union P.M. Kosygin, and signed “Taskent Agrement”.
• Lal Bahadur Shashtri dies in sleep, of cardiac arrest.
• Gulzarilal Nanda was (once again) sworn in as acting prime minister.
• Indira Gandhi became PM on Congress president Kamraj endorsement for which Morarji Desai was interested.
• Punjab and Haryana divided into separate states.
• 4th general elections held in February & INC got 283 seats.
• 14 banks were nationalized which was opposed by then Finance Minister Morarji Desai
• The Indo-Pakistan War of 1971 over Bangladesh liberation. Pakistani troops surrendered & Provisional Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh came into being.
• 5th general elections of India was held 14 months before scheduled time and Congress returned with 362 seats out of 520
• On 26th June 1975 national emergency was declared.
• Opposition leaders, including, Jayprakash Narayan, Morarji Desai, were sent to jail. Sanjay Gandhi became leading political executive overshading Indira Gandhi 1977
• Mrs. Gandhi dissolved Lok Sabha and general elections were held.
• The Congress lost around 200 seats. Both Indira Gandhi and Sanjay Gandhi lost.
• Janata Party came with majority & Morarji Desai became PM of India.
• Morarji Desai resigned after Janata Party splits into three parts: headed by Morarji Desai, Jagjivan Ram and Charan Singh.
• Charan Singh was sworn as Prime Minster, but a month later Indira’s Congress (I) withdrew support, which forced a mid-term election.
• General elections of India was held & INC won 353 seats as a result Mrs.I. Gandhi became PM. Sanjay Gandhi died in a plane accident.
• Indira Gandhi shot dead by two of her Sikh personal bodyguards.
• Rajiv Gandhi became Prime Minister of India.
• 8th general elections of India was held & INC won 404 seats.
• General elections of India was held & INC won 197 seats. The Janata Dal led by V P Singh secured 143 seats, BJP 85 & Left Parties 45 seats. V.P. Singh became PM with support of BJP & Left parties.
• Rajiv Gandhi assassinated by suicide bomber sympathetic to Sri Lanka’s Tamil Tigers(LTTE).
• 10th General elections were held. INC+ got 244, BJP+ 120 & NF got 69 seats. P.V. Narasimha Rao became PM with the support of Left parties.
• Babri Mosque in Ayodhya was demolished, triggering widespread Hindu-Muslim violence.
• General elections were held. UF 192(Janata Dal+) won 192, BJP 187, & INC 140 seats.
• AB Vajpayee became PM only for 13 days followed by H.D. Deve Gowda & IK Gujral (Janata Dal). The 11th Lok Sabha produced three Prime Ministers in two years.
• General elections were held. NDA(BJP+) won 254(182+), INC+ 144 & UF 64 seats.
• AB Vajpayee became PM.
• Kargil war between India & Pakistan. India came as victorious.
• General elections were held. UPA got 218, NDA 181 seats & Manmohan Singh became PM of India.
• General elections were held. UPA got 262, NDA 159 seats & Manmohan Singh became PM of India.
• General elections were held. BJP got 282, INC 44. Narendra Modi became PM of India.
• India got entry into Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) group.