Nature Quiz Questions with Answers – Nature General Knowledge
1. Which is not a butterfly?
a. Cabbage White b. Pink Petal c. Red Admiral
Answer: Pink Petal is not a butterfly.
2. What was the first name of the famous Blue Peter gardener Mr…… Thrower
3. What is the name of the conifer that became well known for creating garden border disputes amongst neighbours?
4. Haltwhistle in Northumberland claims to be what?
Answer: The central point of the British Isles, measured from north, south, east and west.
5. Which plant beginning with ‘b’ is brillant for attracting butterflies?
6. Ladybirds are good for controlling what pest?
Answer: Greenfly Aphids.
7. The Optimum Population Trust, a leading group of demographers have declared what population to be the number that that the natural resources of the British Isles can sustainably cope with?
Answer: 30 million or less.
8. Jude the Obscure is a type of what?
9. Which seabird is sometimes called a ‘Sea Parrot’ ?
10. Which charity are against sewage?
11.Which popular garden plant was used by the Romans in their baths to scent the water?
12. Which country is associated with Koi Fish popular in garden ponds throughout the world?
13. Chile is the original home for which dramatic tree often found in stately homes and mature larger gardens?
Answer: Monkey Puzzle Tree.
14. Ermine is an alternative name for which British mammal?
15. Goldfinches, Magpies and Greenfinches all have something in common, apart from being birds of course. What do they have in common?
Answer: Their populations have been increasing in recent years.
Nature Quiz Questions with Answers Part 2
16. Edmund Hilary trained on which British mountain in preparation for his ascent up Mount Everest?
Answer: Mount Snowdon.
17. A Franciscan monk named a popular garden plant after Leonhart Fuchs, a 15th century German doctor and herbalist. What plant was it?
18. What benefit is there to growing ferns in the UK?
Answer: There is no major pests or diseases that affect them in the UK.
19. Something in the garden became popular in the Netherlands during the 17th century, as a symbol for the House of Orange and independence, what was it?
Answer: The Carrot.
20. How many tonnes of charcoal are estimated to be used in the UK every year for barbecues, that are not from sustainable sources?
a. None it is illegal b. 10,000 tonnes c. 40,000 tonnes d. 80,000 tonnes
Answer: 40,000 tonnes.
21. Name the evergreen hedge that has created many a neighbourly dispute?
22. The Monkey Puzzle tree originates from which country?
23. What herb is regularly mentioned along with Rosemary?
24. The RHS holds a flower show at Tatton Park, which is in what County?
25. Name the popular type of goldfish found in ornamental garden ponds.
Nature General Quiz Questions
26. What plant is used in the treatment of Leukemia?
Answer: Vinca, a strain of the Perrywinkle.
27. Soil can be Acidic, Alkaline or……?
28. Is a blue tulip fact or fiction?
29. What can be placed over Rhubarb to make it longer and more delicate?
Answer: A Rhubarb Forcer.
30. What colour rose is associated with Lancashire?
Nature General Knowledge Quiz Questions with Answers Part 3
31. What yellow flowering tree is poisonous?
32. What is the name for sculpting hedges?
33. What bulb plant could be described as having a facial hair problem?
Answer: The Bearded Iris.
34. Butterflies – Red Admiral, …….. White?
35. Name the organic gardener with flower in his name?
Answer: Bob Flowerdew.
36. What special attribute makes Lavender ideal for dry conditions?
Answer: Small leaves.
37. What county did Capability Brown, the famous landscape designer originate from?
38. I am a woody stemmed plant, usually branched near the base and lacking a single trunk….what am I?
Answer: A shrub.
39. What is a whip?
Answer: A young seedling or grafted tree without branches.
40. A Hybrid Tea is a type of what plant?
41. Where do Pelargoniums originate from?
Answer: South Africa.
42. What type of plants can be found in a rock garden?
43. Rhizomes are a type of what plant?
44. What herb beginning with ‘A’ has soothing properties?
Answer: Aloe Vera.
45. A dibber is useful for what?
Answer: Planting seeds.
46. Cacti are often refered to as what?
47. Kale, Cauliflowers, Brussel Sprouts are all what type of vegetable?
Answer: Western Brassicas.
48. A beer trap can help control what type of pest?
Answer: Slugs and snails.
49. A cloche can help protect plants from what?
50. Shepherds Purse is a type of what?