Music Questions and Answers – Music General Knowledge
1. ‘My Music, My Life’ is the autobiography of which musician?
Answer: Ravi Shankar – Sitarist.
2. Why didn’t Gustav Holst include Pluto in his 1918 orchestral suite ‘The Planets’?
Answer: It wasn’t discovered until 1930.
3. What were the surnames of Thomas and Arthur who collaborated to write ‘The Savoy operas’?
Answer: Gilbert and Sullivan.
4. What was the nationality of Béla Bartók, Zoltán Kodály and Franz Liszt?
5. What is the name for the annual summer series of concerts held at the Royal Albert Hall, London, in which the audience originally walked about?
Answer: The Proms/ Promenade concerts.
6. What was used to conduct the orchestra before the baton was introduced in the early 19th century?
Answer: A violin bow.
7. Which Irish flutist was a member of the Berlin Philharmonic 1969-75 before pursuing a solo career?
Answer: James Galway.
8. Which country home and opera house hosts an annual summer festival established by John Christie in 1934?
9. What are ‘Peter Grimes’ and ‘Billy Budd’?
Answer: Operas by Benjamin Britten.
10. Which instrument do you associate with John Williams, Julian Bream and Andres Segovia?
Answer: (Classical) Guitar.
11. What are the 5 -note pentatonic, the 6 -note whole- tone, the 7-note diatonic and the 13-note chromatic?
12. Which composer held the office of Prime Minister in Poland in 1919?
Answer: Ignacy Jan Paderewski.
13. Which composer was Kapellmeister to Prince Esterhazy 1761-1790?
Answer: Joseph Haydn.
14. What was the name of the Italian village, renowned for its violin-making families of Amati, Giuseppe Guarneri and Antonio Stradivari?
15. Which’ legendary magician was the inspiration for musical works by Ferruccio Busoni, Hector Berlioz, Charles Gounod and Robert Schumann?
16. Which Australian composer, pianist and organist has held the post of Master of the Queen’s Music since 1975?
Answer: Malcolm Williamson.
17. Whose operas are performed at the annual summer festival at Bayreuth in Germany?
Answer: Richard Wagner.
18. Who was the famous British singer of the 20th century, whose original name was Harry Webb?
Answer: Cliff Richard.
19. What was the name of the night club in Liverpool in which the Beatles and other ‘pop’ groups started their careers in the early sixties?
Answer: The Cavern.
20. Who was the band leader who was killed in an air crash in the English Channel during World War II?
Answer: Glenn Miller.