Maths Quiz Questions about Mathematics Books and Authors – Online Maths Quiz
1) Russell Maloney‘s story book gives an idea about statistics. Name this book.
Answer: Inflexible logic.
2) This classic of Plato contains reference to numbers whose significance is still being dugout by mathematicians. Name it.
3) Who is the author of geometry oriented science fiction Flatland?
Answer: Edwin A. Abbot.
4) “The world can be made intelligent in terms of right angles” This statement was made in a world famous classic of Plato. Which is that classic?
Answer: The Timaeus.
5) Who explains his experience in a one dimensional world as a depicted in the classic science fiction Flatland?
Answer: A square.
6) Which story shows how the law of average fails?
Answer: The Law.
7) Who is the author of this book “The Law”?
Answer: Robert M. Coates.
8) “The senses delight in things duly proportional” who made this statement relating beauty to mathematics?
Answer: Thomas Aquinas.
9) Who said “music is the pleasure of the human soul experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting”?
Answer: G. W. Leibniz.
10) Who forwarded in his books this motto “The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers”?
Answer: Richard W. Hamming.
11) An artist as well as mathematician, he wrote a book on geometrical and perspective meant for artists. Who was he?
Answer: Albrecht Durer.
12) Who said “the power is not in the hands of the few but information in the hands of the many”?
Answer: John Naisbitt.
13) Which books on mathematics has been described as a “scientific poem”?
Answer: Mecanique Analytique.
14) Who is the author of “Mecanique Analytique”?
Answer: Joseph Lagrange.
15) Himself an esteemed philosopher of mathematics, he wrote solely and extensively on the philosophy of mathematics. Who is he?
Answer: Ludwig Wittgenstein.
General Math Online Quiz Questions
16) Who is the author of classic “Principia Mathematica”?
Answer: A. N. Whitehead and Bertrand Russell.
17) Who wrote one of the greatest mathematical treatises of ancient times the “Arithmetica”?
18) Who wrote “A Mathematician‘s Apology”?
Answer: G. H Hardy.
19) Who wrote the first textbook on differential calculus?
Answer: Marquis de l’Hôpital.
20) Who is the author of “The Fractal Geometry of Nature” an important contribution to understanding form and complexity in the physical universe?
Answer: Benoit Mandelbrot.
21) Who wrote the classic “Paradoxes of the Infinite”?
Answer: Bernhard Bolzano.
22) Who wrote “Liber Abaci” which introduced the Indian number system and zero to the Europe?
Answer: Leonardo da Pisa.
23) Which mathematician wrote “Discourse of Method” in bed when he was hardly 16 years old and had studied mathematics for a few months only?
Answer: Rene Descartes.
24) Who wrote the classic “On Growth and Form” a mathematical treatment of natural history?
Answer: D’Arcy Wentworth Thompson.
25) Who wrote the popular “One, Two, Thre… Infinity” a book on numbers and their relationship with the cosmos?
Answer: George Gamow.
26) Who is the author of “Mathematical Ideas, Their Nature and Use”?
Answer: Jagjit Singh.
27) Who wrote the recent mathematical masterpiece “Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid”?
Answer: James R. Newman.
28) Who discovered the oldest document on mathematics?
Answer: A. Henry Rhind.
29) Who wrote the witty and amusing book “A Budget of Paradoxes”?
Answer: Augustus De Morgan.
30) Who is the author of the classic “Men of Mathematics”?
Answer: E. T. Bell.