Math Quiz Pathfinders Inventors and Founders of Mathematics – Maths Quiz Questions
1) Who hit upon the idea of “Cartesian coordinate”?
Answer: Rene Descartes.
2) Who is the discoverer of conic sections?
3) Who formulated the concept of “Fractals”?
Answer: Benoit Mandelbrot.
4) Who provided that π2 is irrational?
Answer: Adrien Marie Legendre.
5) Who is the not so well known father of statistics?
Answer: John Graunt.
6) Who discovered the “Isogonic Centre” of the triangle?
Answer: Evangelista Torricelli.
7) Who formulated “the Incompleteness Theorem” no theory of all mathematics is finitely describable, consistent and complete?
Answer: Kurt Godel.
8) Who is the originator of the game theory is now applied to business, war etc.?
Answer: John Von Neumann.
9) Who proved that transcendental numbers exist?
Answer: Joseph Liouville.
10) Who is the father of mathematical physics?
Answer: Daniel Bernoulli.
11) Who discovered the science of infinity?
Answer: George Cantor.
12) Which mathematician gave a global plan to solve a mathematical problem?
Answer: George Polya.
13) Who invented the invention of integral calculus?
Answer: Francesco Bonaventura Cavalieri.
14) Who invented logarithm for faster calculations?
Answer: John Napier.
15) Who invented the slide rule?
Answer: William Oughtred.
Mathematics Online Quiz Questions and Answers
16) Who invented the method of exhaustion for determining the areas and volume of geometrical figures and solids respectively?
17) G.H Leibniz invented calculus. But one famous scientist also simultaneously invented calculus. Name him.
Answer: Isaacs Newton.
18) Who is the inventor of superellipse?
Answer: Piet Hein.
19) Who invented the integrator, an instrument which gives the value of definite integrals?
Answer: James Thomson.
20) Who invented the first chess playing machine?
Answer: Leonardo Torres y Quevedo.
21) Who invented “Quaternions”?
Answer: William R. Hamilton.
22) Who invented what is known as “descriptive geometry”?
Answer: Gaspard Monge.
23) Who founded the mathematical theory of information?
Answer: Claude Shannon.
24) Who is considered the founder of trigonometry?
25) Who laid the foundation of matric algebra?
Answer: Arthur Cayley.
26) Who founded the subject of vector analysis?
Answer: Josiah Williarrd Gibbs.
27) Who founded the subject of functional analysis?
Answer: Thomas Bayes.
28) Who is the founder of modern theory of numbers?
Answer: Pierre de Fermat.
29) Who founded the subject of projective geometry?
Answer: Girard Desargues.
30) It is said that he laid the foundation of calculus in geometrical form before it was actually invented by others. Who was he?
Answer: Isaac Barrow.