History of physics Quiz Questions – Science Quiz
History of Physics General Quiz Answers – Science Quiz
1) Who was the first pre-Socratic philosopher to suggest that matter could neither be created nor destroyed?
2) In 1729 AD, Pieter Van Musschenbroek used the term ‘PHYSICS’ for the first time. What was the subject called so far?
Answer: Natural philosophy.
3) Which Greek philosopher suggested that the material world was composed of four basic elements – air, water, fire and earth?
4) Who in 1231 was the first to describe the science of optics?
Answer: Robert Grosseteste.
5) Who was burnt to death for suggesting that the sun might be an ordinary star?
Answer: Giordano Bruno.
6) Who in 1643 was the first person to create vacuum above the liquid?
Answer: Evangelista Torricelli.
7) Who in 1786 invented the gold leaf electro scope?
Answer: Abraham Bennet.
8) Who encouraged Newton to write his idea for principia?
Answer: Edmund Halley.
9) Who in 1808 discovered polarization of light and introduced the term ‘Polarization’?
Answer: Etienne-Louis Malus.
10) The first scientist to apply scientific reasoning to cosmology was Rene Descartes. What was his theory called?
Answer: Vortex Theory.
11) In which year did Otto Von Guericke demonstrate his famous Magdeburg experiment dealing vacuum?
12) Who was the first to attack Newton’s Corpuscular theory of light?
Answer: Thomas Young.
13) Who was the first person to design models of flying machine?
Answer: Leonardo da Vinci.
14) Who in 1749 developed a method for making an artificial magnet?
Answer: John canton.
15) Hydrodynamica gave explanation of Bernoulli’s theorem in 1738. Who was the first to suggest this theorem?
Answer: Daniel Bernoulli.
16) Who invented Leyden jar?
Answer: Pieter Van Musschenbroek and Ewald Georg von Kleist.
17) Which famous Danish physicist in 1675 measured the speed of light?
18) What did Sir William Herschel discover in 1800?
Answer: Infra-red radiation.
19) In which year did G.S. Ohm formulate Ohm’s law?
20) In which year did A. Michelson and E. Morley conduct their experiment to verify the existence of ether?
21) Who in 1939 suggested the name meson for middle-weight particles?
Answer: Homi J. Bhabha.
22) What is the importance of 2nd December 1942?
Answer: The creation of the first controlled chain reaction.
23) Which philosopher conjectured that if the moon did not move, it would fall upon the earth?
24) Who said, “A bird is an instrument working according to the mathematical laws”?
Answer: Leonardo da Vinci.
25) Who said, “All falling bodies, irrespective of their size, descend at the same speed”?
Answer: Galileo Galilei.
Physics Science Quiz Questions
26) Which Austrian physicist developed the philosophy that all knowledge is simply sensation?
Answer: Ernest Mach.
27) Who contemplated “A freely floating magnet orients itself in the north-south direction?
Answer: Robert Norman.
28) Who gave the idea “Electricity flows through space from heated metal”?
Answer: Thomas Alva Edison.
29) “Moving particles have wave characteristics.” Who proposed the idea first?
Answer: Victor de Broglie.
30) Who suggested that light is made up of packets of energy known as protons?
Answer: Albert Einstein.
31) Who was the first to suggest this idea “Radiant energy can be emitted and absorbed by atoms only in discrete amounts called ‘quanta’ ”?
Answer : Max Planck.
32) Who first contemplated “the speed of tight is the same no matter how it is measured”?
Answer : Albert Einstein.
33) Who was the first to suggest that matter and energy are inter changeable?
Answer : Albert Einstein.
34) Who first formulated the idea that ‘a moving rod contracts in the direction of its motion’?
Answer : Lorentz and Fitzgerald independently.
35) Who first proposed the concept of atomic number?
Answer : Henry Moseley.
36) Who, in 1829, was the first scientist to suggest that the spectral line should be used as a standard of length?
Answer : Jacques Babinet.
37) Who formulated the idea ‘the farther away a galaxy is, the faster it is moving’?
Answer : Edwin Hubble.
38) Who gave the idea, “the light in proceeding from point to point travels along the route which minimizes file time required”?
Answer : Pierre de Fermat.
39) Who was the first to think, “The period of oscillation of a pendulum is independent of its amplitude”?
Answer : Galileo.
40) Who was the first to give the idea, “Each pure substance has its own characteristic spectrum”?
Answer : Gustav Kirchhoff.
41) Who was first to think about “A pivoted magnetic needle placed parallel to a wire carrying an electric current makes oscillation”?
Answer : Hans Christian Oersted.
42) Who was first to suggest “A planet moves most quickly when it is closest to the sun, but slows down as it moves farther away”?
Answer : Johannes Kepler.
43) “Regular strokes of the pendulum could be utilized in the accurate measurement of time”
Who was the first to advance this idea?
Answer : Galileo Galilee.
Answer : Roentgen discovered the X-rays.
45) In 1752, Benjamin Franklin conducted the famous kite experiment. What did it suggest?
Answer : Lightning is a form of electricity.
46) In which year did Luigi Galvani discover, albeit accidently, the action of electricity on the muscles of a dissected frog?
Answer : 1771.
47) What is the important event which took place in 1665?
Answer: The discovery of Newtonian laws of gravitation.