Biology Competitive Exam Questions – Science GK Quiz
1. Which is the first oxygen producing Organism?
Answer: Autotrophic cyanobacteria.
2. How much biosphere extends to the distance?
Answer: 22.5 Km.
3. How are the populations of different species is kept under check?
Answer: By food chain.
4. Who is the most recent and most highly evolved amongst organisms?
Answer: Human species, Homo sapiens.
5. What two special characteristics are found in human beings which have made them masters?
Answer: Highly evolved brain, skilled hand.
6. What is nebula?
Answer: It is the name of cold cosmic cloud of dust and gas which is believed to condense and form star, planets and their satellites.
7. Who first put forward the nebular hypothesis of origin of solar system?
Answer: Immanuel Kant.
8. What helped in forming different types of organic compounds on earth from inorganic salts, minerals and gases in beginning?
Answer: High temperature, ultra-violet rays and lightning.
9. Who first proposed that life originated from non-living substances through chemical processes?
Answer: Alexander Oparin.
10. What is the name of the theory that believes life originated from inorganic substances through chemical processes?
Answer: Physico-chemical theory / Naturalistic theory/ Theory of Chemosynthetic origin.
11. Name the fungus which causes “Athlete’s foot” ringworm in man:
Answer: Tinea pedis.
12. What is Myrmecochory?
Answer: Dispersal of seeds by ants is called Myrmecochory.
13. What is the common name of Agaricus?
14. What is the name of the fruit body of polyporus?
15. What are Fronds?
Answer: The pinnately compound leaves of fern are called fronds.
Biology Exam Online General Questions
16. What is Agrostology?
Answer: The study of grasses is called Agrostology.
17. Plants that grow in water are called hydrophytes. What name is given to plants that grow in desert conditions?
18. What is cambium?
Answer: Elongated cells in between xylem and phloem in dicot plants constitute cambium.
19. What is the name of the process of photosynthesis – constructive or destructive?
20. Which gas is evolved during’ photosynthesis?
21. Write the name of various medical plants:
Answer: Rauwolfia serpentina, Vinca rosea, Cinchona, Foxglove, Black mulberry, Ocimum Sanctum.
22. What is the importance of Foxgloves?
Answer: For Heart stimulant.
23. What is the importance of Cinchona?
Answer: It is used for Antimalarial medication.
24. What is the importance of Serpentina?
Answer: It is Antidote for hypertension.
25. How is coir made?
Answer: Coir is made from the tough fibers extracted from green coconut husk.
26. Why is groundnut considered as an oil seed?
Answer: Because it contains plenty of fat.
27. Wheat is more nourishing than rice. Why?
Answer: Apart from carbohydrates, Wheat contains proteins and hence it is more nourishing than rice.
28. What are the qualities that the scientist developed in the new varieties of rice?
Answer: Yield more, grow fast and are resistant to diseases.
29. Which are the chief fiber yielding plants?
Answer: Cotton, flax, coconut tree, jute plant.
30. Which are the plants that have attained commercial importance?
Answer: Exotic flowers like the orchids and Anthuriums.