What do you know about Literature – Learn Literature General Knowledge Quiz Questions with Answers
Literature General Knowledge – Latest Quiz Questions
1. The Term ‘Money is The Root of All Evil ‘ features in which book of the Bible?
2. Which French Romantic novelist wrote The Count of Monte Cristo?
Answer: Alexandre Dumas.
3. What famous playwright wrote the oscar-winning screenplay for the 1976 movie network?
Answer: Paddy Chayefsky, Who Earlier Gave Us Marty.
4. What does the ‘J’ stand for in author J. K. Rowling’s name? (Harry Potter).
5. Which ‘JE’ is governess to the ward of Mr. Rochester, in the book bearing her name?
Answer: Jane Eyre
6. Who wrote and starred in the 1922 version of Robin Hood?
Answer: Douglas Fairbanks.
7. Which word created by Jk Rowling gained entry into the oxford english dictionary in 2003?
8. One of Shakespeare’s tragedies is called ‘The Scottish Play’ by superstitious actors. which?
9. Name the author who created Hannibal Lecter?
Answer: Thomas Harris.
10. In what book does humpty dumpty first appear?
Answer: Through The Looking Glass.
11. According to the cowboy encyclopaedia what is an Orejano?
Answer: Unbranded Calf.
12. Mary Clarissa Miller, adopted a pseudonym to become one of Britain’s top crime authors, how is she better known?
Answer: Agatha Christie.
13. What is the second book of the Bible’s Old Testament?
14. Which children’s author won the 2005 Blue Peter Book of the Year award?
Answer: Michael Morpurgo.
15. What book about four days in Iowa took Robert J. Waller two weeks to write, and topped bestseller lists for seven months?
Answer: The Bridges of Madison County.
How Well Do You Know Classic Literature – General Online Literature Quiz
16. Which author took a bus full of merry pranksters on a 3 year bus trip around America filming the country and it’s people?
Answer: Ken Kesey.
17. Name Ernest Hemmingway’s book dealing with Bullfighting?
18. Which Japanese author and playwright known for nihilistic writings committed ritual suicide by seppuku in 1970?
Answer: Yukio Mishima.
19. Who wrote the concerto called “The Emperor”?
20. Who wrote the mega-selling book “The Da Vinci Code”?
Answer: Dan Brown.
21. About which author did Graham Greene say ‘It was as though X had put all his writing in a sieve out of which all the adjectives and adverbs fell out’?
Answer: Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)
22. No sleuthing allowed! What struggling doctor wrote The Narrative of John Smith that will be published in 2011 about 130 years after it was first written?
Answer: Arthur Conan Doyle.
23. Where was the first book printed in the English tongue (in 1475)?
24. What was the first book in English to be printed in England?
Answer: The Canterbury Tales.
25. Who wrote the first modern ghost story in the English language?
Answer: Daniel Defoe.
26. Whose Job as a book binder on an edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica led to the discovery of electricity?
Answer: Michael Farraday.
27. In Harry Potter, in what year was The Harry Potter Author J.K Rowling Born?
Answer: 1965 (31st July)
28. Which author did Hitler acclaim as the prophet of right wing authoritarianism?
29. Who Famously Wrote ‘A hen is only an eggs way of making another egg’?
Answer: Samuel Butler
30. In July 1987 former Mi5 agent peter wright, published his memoirs in a very controversial book what was it called?
Answer: Spy Catcher.
GK Questions and Answers on Literature
31. Who wrote an autobiography “Beginning” in 1989, aged 28?
Answer: Kenneth Branagh.
32. What author moved some 56 times in the six months after he was issued a death threat?
Answer: Salman Rushdie.
33. Who was the author of the book entitled ‘A Brief History of Time’ first published in 1988?
Answer: Stephen Hawking.
34. Which Oscar winning film was inspired by the book The Seven Pillars of Wisdom?
Answer: Lawrence Of Arabia.
35. What two-word term does the cynic’s dictionary call: ‘A movie seen about 50 times by about that many people’?
Answer: Cult Film.
36. Charles Dodgson wrote his classic children’s story under what name?
Answer: Lewis Carroll.
37. Who wrote the Messiah?
38. Which Actor Wrote The Book ‘The Outlaw Trail’?
Answer: Robert Redford.
39. Which novel has the longest sentence in literature 823 words?
Answer: Les Miserables – Victor Hugo.
40. Who wrote The Beggar’s Opera in 1728?
Answer: John Gay.
41. In what year did the author Agatha Christie die?
42. Who wrote ‘The History Of Mr. Polly’?
Answer: H. G. Wells.
43. In which Ian Fleming novel did James Bond first appear?
Answer: Casino Royale.
44. Who wrote The Ballad of Reading Gaol in 1898?
Answer: Oscar Wilde.
45. Who wrote the original story The Witches, filmed in 1990?
Answer: Roald Dahl.
46. The films ‘The Constant Gardener’, ‘The Tailor of Panama’ and ‘The Russia House’ were based on novels by which British author?
Answer: John Le Carre.
47. Whose 1995 novel The Moor’s Last Sigh enraged hindu militants in India?
Answer: Salman Rushdie’s.
48. Who Founded The London Library?
Answer: Thomas Carlyle.
49. The Sequel to which famous novel was called ’20 Years After’?
Answer: The Three Musketeers.
50. What was Shakespeare’s first tragedy?
Answer: Titus Andronicus.