Quiz about Different Types of Foods – Foods GK Quizzes – Foods Quiz Questions
Foods – GK Quizzes 1
1. What is the name for a Turkish dish made of stuffed vegetables?
Dolma is a dish made of vegetables such as aubergine, peppers, or grape leaves stuffed with rice, cabbage, or some other filling.
2. What is baba ganoush made of?
Baba ganoush is a very popular Middle Eastern dish made primarily of eggplant and tahini, a paste made from sesame seeds.
3. From what plant does the granadilla fruit come?
The granadilla, popular in tropical America and in Australia, is the fruit of the passion-flower.
4. What gives peppers their heat?
Capsaicin is a kind of chemical that humans perceive to be hot. Peppers contain lots of capsaicin.
5. Lolla Rossa is:
A type of lettuce.
Lolla Rossa is a type of heirloom lettuce with frilly leaves that have a reddish tint. It originated in California.
Vegetable – GK Quizzes 2
6. What vegetable is usually used to make coleslaw?
Coleslaw comes from the Dutch words meaning “cabbage salad.” It is usually made from green cabbage.
7. The tomato is classified as a:
The tomato is commonly mistaken for a vegetable. Technically, a tomato is a fruit.
8. What vitamin are leafy green vegetables rich in?
Leafy green vegetables are rich in vitamin K, which is essential for helping blood to clot.
9. What is responsible for the green color of leafy vegetables such as lettuce?
Chlorophyll gives leafy vegetables, and many other plants, their green color.
Citrus Quiz – GK Quizzes 3
10. About when did concentrated orange juice become commercially available?
Before World War II nearly all oranges were marketed as fresh fruit. In 1944 scientists found a way to concentrate the juice in a vacuum and then freeze it without destroying the flavor or vitamin content.
11. What is the world’s largest producer of grapefruit?
The United States is the world’s largest producer. Other large growers are Israel, Cuba, Argentina, Cyprus, South Africa, and Mexico.
12. In which U.S. state are grapefruits not grown commercially?
Raising and marketing grapefruit is a large industry in southern Florida, Arizona, and the Rio Grande valley of Texas. Southern California also has many grapefruit groves.
13. In which U.S. state are the most oranges grown?
California produced the most fruit until frozen juice became popular. Florida then took the lead in production.
Food Around the World – GK Quizzes 4
14. In what country would you find shish kebab as an everyday food?
The cuisine of Turkey features shish kebab, roasted meat and vegetables cooked on a wood skewer over an open fire.
15. If you were eating mole poblano, you would most likely be in what country?
Mole poblano is a rich red chili sauce from Mexico. It mixes chocolate with chili!
16. To what country is the mung bean native?
The mung bean (also called the green gram) and the horse gram are native to India.
17. In what country would you be most likely to find gruyere cheese in the market?
Gruyere is a cheese that is widely eaten in Switzerland. It is named after a village in the French-speaking part of the country.
18. In what country might you eat haggis?
Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish, eaten on Burns Night (January 25) and Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve).
19. What country does the word “mocha” come from?
Mocha, a port in Yemen, lends its name to a certain kind of coffee. Coffee was grown there beginning about 1500 years ago and exported to other countries.
20. What country is renowned for chocolate?
Belgium, in northwestern Europe, is renowned for fine chocolates. These are used in cooking, but are also eaten as candy.
Cuisine of India – GK Quizzes 5
21. What is the name for a popular Indian dessert dish?
Gulab jamun is an Indian dessert made of fried dough balls in sweet rosewater and saffron syrup.
22. What is India’s national fruit?
The mango is India’s national fruit. It is rich in vitamins and a delicious, juicy treat.
23. What oil is characteristically used in the cooking of South India?
Coconut oil is widely used in the cooking of South India. It is flavorful and nutritious.
24. What word is used in India for tea?
Chai is a word widely used in India to mean the drink called, in English, tea.
25. Which was called “food of the gods” in ancient India?
Once called the food of the gods in India, yogurt has been linked to much folklore. It has been regarded as a cure for insomnia, a wrinkle remover, a medicine, and even a fountain of youth.
26. If you were eating rajma in Delhi, what would you be eating?
Rajma is the Hindi word for kidney beans, which makes a delicious accompaniment to a meal.
27. What is the main ingredient of gaajar ka halwa?
Gaajar ka halwa is a kind of carrot pudding popular in many parts of India.