Atomic Structure Quiz Questions and Answers
Physics Atomic Structure Quiz Questions Part
Physics Quiz 1-10
1) Who first gave the concept of ‘Atom’?
2) How many times is the proton heavier than the electron?
Answer: 1836 times.
3) What is AMU?
Answer: It is the unit of atomic mass.
4) The energy released from the sun and the other stars is due to what?
Answer: Nuclear fusion.
5) The force that tends to make a nucleus fly apart?
Answer: Electrostatic repulsion.
6) Which force is responsible to keep the atomic nuclei together?
Answer: Nuclear force only.
7) How do the electrons move according to the Rutherford model of the atom?
Answer: Electrons orbit the positively charged nuclei.
8) What does the phenomenon of photo-electric emission establish?
Answer: The quantum nature of light.
9) When does the emission of energy take place?
Answer: An electron jumps from the higher orbit to the lower orbit.
10) What did Rutherford’s gold foil experiment prove?
Answer: Positively charged protons are contained in the nucleus of the atom.
Physics Atomic Structure Quiz Questions Part 2
Physics Quiz 11-20
11) What are Alpha particles?
Answer: Helium nucleus.
12) How does Alpha, Beta and Gama radiations come out of a radioactive substance?
13) Where is installed the most powerful accelerator, the atom smasher?
Answer: Illinois, USA.
14) Where in India is cyclotron, the particle accelerator machine installed?
15) X-rays consists of what?
Answer: Electromagnetic radiations.
16) What are cosmic rays?
Answer: High energy particles.
17) Who discovered positron?
18) What is ratio of the frequencies of the long wavelength limits of the Hyman and Balmer series of hydrogen?
19) What is called the law of equivalence of mass and energy?
Answer: Einstein’s law.
20) What is known as, no two fermions can exist in identical quantum states?
Answer: Pauli Exclusion Principle.
Physics Atomic Structure Quiz Questions Part 3
Physics Quiz 21-30
21) What is called the Weinberg and Salam theory unifying electromagnetic forces and weak nuclear interaction?
Answer: Electroweak theory.
22) What is the name of the hypothetical theory that would unify all the fundamental forces of nature?
Answer: super grand unified theory.
23) What is called exchange of energy between one particles and an electromagnetic wave?
24) What does Frank-Hertz experiment establish?
Answer: The Frank-Hertz experiment establish that there are discrete energy levels in atoms.
25) In which regions of the spectrum, Hyman and balmer series lie?
Answer: They lie in ultraviolet and visible regions respectively.
26) In which regions of the spectrum, the Paschen series lies?
Answer: In ultraviolet and infra-red.
27) Who gave principle that “any given quantum orbit in an atom can be occupied by no more than two electrons”?
28) Who introduced the concept of electron spin?
Answer: Uhlenbeck and Goudsmit.
29) In which form is energy radiated from a source?
30) What must we consider to explain fine structure of the spectrum of hydrogen atom?
Answer: Spin angular momentum.
Physics Atomic Structure Quiz Questions Part 4
Physics Quiz 31-40
31) For given value of n, what is the maximum number of electrons in an orbit?
32) What is the speed of an electron in the orbit of hydrogen atom in the ground state?
34) Which is the best laboratory approximation to an ideal black body?
Answer: A hollow enclosure blackened inside with soot and having a small hole
35) From where fraunhofer, lines are observed in the spectrum?
Answer: The sun
36) Why is the fraunhofer lines present in the spectrum?
Answer: Vapors of elements present in atmosphere absorb certain colors
37) Write an example of sources that give discrete emission spectrum:
Answer: Mercury Vapor lamp
38) Which is the longest wavelength?
Answer: Infra-red radiation
39) Light from a distant star is examined with a spectroscope. What does the spectrum show?
Answer: Temperature of star
40) From where Band spectrum is obtained?
Answer: Molecules In the gaseous state of matter
Physics Atomic Structure Quiz Questions Part 5
Physics Quiz 41-51
41) Which type of spectra is produced in a candle flame, an electric bulb and a kerosene oil lamp?
Answer: Continuous spectra
42) In which color, wavelength of 5450 A0 occurs?
43) What is the velocity of an electron in ground state?
Answer: 2 x 106m/s
44) The energy of an electron in the first orbit of hydrogen atom is -13.6 ev. What is the energy of the electron in the fourth orbit?
Answer: -0.85 ev.
45) What do you mean by trajectory of scattered ∞ particles?
46) What is called an electron’s movement around the nucleus in circular orbits?
Answer: Stationary orbits.
47) What is the total energy of an electron in atom?
Answer: It is always negative.
48) Which source is associated with a line emission spectrum?
Answer: Neon street sign.
49) What is the electronic configuration of noble gas?
Answer: 1s2, 2s2, 1p6
50) Hydrogen atoms are excited from ground state of principal quantum number 4. How many number of spectral lines are observed?
51) Hydrogen atom emits blue light when it changes from n=4 energy level to n=2 level. Which colour would the atom emit when it changes from n=5 level to n=2 level?