100 Geography Quiz Questions Answers
Geography Quiz Questions – Online Quiz with Answers Part 1
Geography Quiz 1 – 10
1) Which planet having all the circumstances for the existence of life?
2) The age of earth?
About 4600 million years.
3) The man who first assessed the mass of the earth?
Dr. Nevil Maskelyne
4) Which are the four layers in the outer surface of the earth?
Lithosphere, Hydrosphere, Atmosphere, Biosphere.
5) Which are the six layers in the atmosphere divided on the basis of the distance from the surface of the earth?
Troposphere, Stratosphere, Mesosphere, Thermosphere, Exosphere, Ionosphere.
6) Who put forth the nebular hypothesis explaining the origin of the earth?
7) A longitudinal dune which instead of being transverse to the prevailing wind is parallel to it?
8) The permeable rock layer which retains water?
9) Difference between Gulf and Bay?
Gulf and Bay are part of the sea that extends considerably into the land, but a Bay usually has a wider entrance than Gulf.
10) The isotherm indicates?
The temperatures in particular areas.
Geography Quiz Questions Answers Part 2
Geography Quiz 11 – 20
11) The isthmus means?
A narrow neck of land that connects two larger landmasses.
12) Name given to the widened river mouth found at the point a river enters the sea?
13) Which ocean surrounds the North Pole?
14) The isobars indicate?
The atmospheric pressure in a particular area.
15) The hot desert which is covered with large rocks is?
16) Give an example of Hypabyssal rock:
17) What is Caldera?
A large volcanic depression more or less circular in shape with exceptionally large diameter
18) Name the plain which forms by filling up of lakes:
19) Upper part of the Lithosphere is made up of:
20) The average thickness of earth:
General Knowledge Geography Quiz Part 3
Geography Quiz 21 – 30
21) What is the Dew point?
The temperature at which the air is fully saturated is called the Dew point
22) Folding of rocks is caused due to?
23) What is Stalactites?
Pendant mass of calcite hanging vertically from the roof of a cave is called Stalactites
24) What is Geyser?
Fountain like intermittent warm water coming out from the underground is called Geyser
25) Which causes the difference of time between two places?
26) What is an Uvalas?
In Limestone areas Karst depression larger than shallow holes arising often through their coalescence is called an Uvalas
27) The surface of the continental crust is:
28) What is a hurricane?
It is a typhoon called in the Atlantic
29) What is a cirque?
It is a bowl – shaped depression created by glacial erosion
30) Which contributes towards low atmospheric pressure in the equatorial belt?
Online Geography Quiz with Answers Part 4
Geography Quiz 31 – 40
31) Give an example of periodic wind:
32) Which soil contains clay and sand in equal proportion?
33) Which are the three main island groups in the Pacific?
Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia
34) What is a cape?
It is the geographical term for “land’s end”, a tip of land which projects into the sea
35) A more precise geographical name for a tableland:
36) Exfoliation is a process of:
37) Which is a minor plate?
38) The greatest ocean depth found in:
The Mariana trench in the Pacific Ocean
39) What is common to Mauna Loa, Krakatoa and Stromboli?
All are volcanoes
40) Maximum chemical weathering takes place in:
Geography Quiz Part 5
Geography Quiz 41 – 50
41) The latitude of South Pole is:
42) The axis of the earth is tilted to the vertical at an angle of:
43) Moraines are the deposits of:
44) How many degrees North and South are the Tropics?
45) Name the science of making maps:
46) A high area of land drops steep, especially into the sea, such land formation is called:
47) Ice covering great areas of the continent is termed as:
48) Precipitation consisting of a mixture of snow and rain is termed as:
49) Explain the shape of Earth:
It is slightly flattened at the Poles and bulges slightly at the Equator
50) A warm sea current from the Gulf of Mexico:
Geography Quiz Online Part – 6
Geography Quiz 51 – 60
51) The color of laterite soil is:
52) The time difference for every degree of longitude
53) The water surrounding the land man lives on is called:
54) The rocky crust of the earth on which we live is called:
55) In which region salinity of the ocean water is high?
56) Which wind blowing from the Andes over the Pampas?
57) Contours on maps indicate:
Heights of land above the sea level
58) Name the extensive aggradational piedmont alluvial plain in desert regions:
59) How do alluvial plains form?
By rivers depositing their sand and silt on the land during floods
60) What is a spit?
A ridge or embankment of sediment attached to the land at one end and terminating in open water at the other
Latest Geography Quiz Questions – 7
Geography Quiz 61 – 70
61) What is Yardang?
Steep sided rock ribs, up to 20 feet high and 30 to 120 feet in width, separated from one another by corridors cut in the desert floor by wind abrasion
62) Which wind you can find in between the Tropics and blowing towards Equator?
The trade winds
63) The latitude of Arctic Circle:
66.5 degrees north
64) The sun rises in the east and sets in the west due to:
Rotation of the earth
65) Blocks of earth’s crust are raised or lowered due to faulting, write the geographical name for raised blocks:
66) Stock farming is:
67) The hottest place on earth:
Dallol, Danakil Depression, Ethiopia, Al Aziziyah Libya
68) The deepest part of earth, other than Antarctica:
The Dead Sea
69) An ideal example of Graben:
Dead Sea depression
70) What is Mesas:
Large isolated table lands capped with a protective covering which is essentially horizontal in attitude is called Mesas
Geography Quiz Questions – Online Quiz with Answers Part 8
Geography Quiz 71 – 80
71) Number of times does Earth move round the sun in a year:
72) The land that gently slopes and extends below sea level from the coasts of the continents before sharply sloping to form the seafloor in the deeps is called:
73) Coral reefs are found in shallow warm water of the:
74) What is Pediplains?
The rock floored plains adjacent to mountain masses in desert regions which have developed by plantation are called Pediplains
75) The common name for the winds that are sometimes called the Anti-trades:
76) The process of wastage of glaciers:
77) Which expedition was the first to sail round the world and conclusively prove that the Earth is round?
78) What is a cash crop?
A crop that i9 not a food crop; it is grown for sale to manufacturers who convert it into products
79) Give an example for Intermontane Plateau:
80) Name the piedmont plains at the foothills of the Punjab -Himalayas:
Geography Quiz Questions – Online Quiz with Answers Part 9
Geography Quiz 81 – 90
81) Give an example of Pyramidal Peak?
Matterhorn in Alps
82) Limestone when metamorphosed is:
83) How are heights of land expressed?
In feet or meters above the sea level
84) The velocity of wind is related to:
Rotation of the earth
85) The volcano which is located outside the Ring of Pacific fire is:
86) Area drained by a river:
87) The temperature of the interior of the earth rises by 10 Celsius with every:
35 meters of depth
88) The volcano which is called the light house of the Mediterranean Sea because of its glowing light all the time is:
89) Shorter and shallower glacial troughs eroded by ice below sea level and submerged are known as:
90) How much time is taken by the sunlight to reach the earth?
Geography Quiz Questions – Online Quiz with Answers Part 10
Geography Quiz 91 – 100
91) Which is considered as the origin of the earth?
92) The speed of the earth’s orbit around the sun?
105 -109 km/hr
93) The line joining places of equal atmospheric pressure is called:
94) The clouds that causes a heavy downpour:
95) Name the rocks which allow water to pass through easily:
96) The distance around the earth at the equator:
97) The climatic region which covers greater part of the earth’s surface:
98) The zone on either side of the equator up to the tropics is called:
99) The most important factor for determining the climate of a place:
100) The word Monsoon is derived from: